He is Sir Humphry Davy (1808)
Properties of Barium
- Pure barium is a silvery white
- Somewhat shiny
- Somewhat malleable metal. Malleable means capable of being hammered into thin sheets.
- Melting point of about 700°C (1,300°F)
- A boiling point of about 1,500°C (2,700°F)
- Its density is 3.6 grams per cubic centimeter
- When heated, barium compounds give off a pale yellow-green flame
- Barium is an active metal
- It combines easily with oxygen, the halogens, and other non-metals
- Barium also reacts with water and with most acids
- It is so reactive that it must be stored under kerosene, petroleum, or some other oily liquid to prevent It from reacting with oxygen and moisture in the air. Of the alkaline family, only radium is more reactive.
Reaction of Barium
- Reaction with water
- Reaction with air
2Ba(s) + O₂(g) → 2BaO(s)
Ba(s) + O₂(g) → BaO₂(s)
3Ba(s) + N₂(g) → Ba₃N₂(s)
- Reaction with hydrogen
- Reaction with halogen
Ba(s) + Cl₂(g) → BaCl₂(s)
Ba(s) + Br₂(g) → BaBr₂(s)
Ba(s) + I₂(g) → BaI₂(s)
- Reaction with acid
Ba + 2HCl → BaCl₂ + H₂
Sources of Barium
Occurrence in Nature
Barium is the fourteenth most abundant element in the Earth's crust. It's abundance is estimated to be about 0,05 percent.
High chemical reactivity
Never found in nature as a free element
Mineral (barite BaSO₄ and witherite BaCO₃)
Sources of Barium Ores
Barium Making Process
- Electrolysis of molten barium chloride
Catode: Ba²⁺(l) + 2e⁻→ Ba
Anode: Cl⁻(l) → ½Cl₂ (g) + e⁻
- Reduction of BaO with Al
6BaO + 2Al → 3Ba + Ba₃Al₂O₆
Reduction Process to Produce Ultrapure Barium
- BaSO₄ + 2 C → BaS + 2 CO₂↑
- 3 BaO + 14 Al → 3 BaAl₄ + Al₂O₃
- 8 BaO + BaAl₄ → Ba↑ + 7 BaAl₂O₄
- BaO + Al₂O₃ → BaAl₂O₄
The overall reaction
4 BaO + 2 Al → 3 Ba↑ + BaAl₂O₄
99% pure barium
0.8% and 0.25% impurities being strontium and calcium
0.1% other contaminants contributing
- Metal barium is used as a coating electrical conductors.
- Barium sulfate is used in the rubber industry, paint and linoleum
- Barium nitrate is used to make firecrackers and fireworks.
- Used for X-ray testing system gastroinstinal
- BaSO4 to manufacture abdominal X-rays in the petroleum industry
- Fillers and developers (filler and extender), and cement aggregate.
- As "weighing agents" in the natural gas and oil
- Lithopone, a pigment that contains barium sulfate and zinc sulfide has a strong covering power and does not become dark or black by sulphide.
- Barite is often used as an agent in a fluid ballast oil well drillers and used in the manufacture of rubber.
- Barium carbonate is used in rat poison.
- The cleaning boilers, the sugar industry, improve animal and vegetable oils, water softening, making glass, ceiling paintings.
- Maker of photographic paper, fillers for rubbe
- X-ray diagnosis used barium sulfate
Okay we’ll talk about...
Radiological examination of the gastrointestinal using X-ray
Story of Barium
Mysterious disease that killed 10 villagers Kanigoro, Magelang, Central Java, allegedly arising from the citizens of poisoning after consuming tempe gembus in the 27 July 2007.
*Sumber: SOSNA SRI RAHAYU
Baca Juga :